Listen here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/mikeandlauriekehoe/2018/10/19/author-jimmy-pressley-author-of-the-oracle-chronicles
- Tell us about yourself:
- Where do you live? Blaine Tennessee near Knoxville
- How long have you lived there? On and off since 2003
- Are you married? Yes
- Kids? 4
- Full time job? Dad and writing
- Education? Some college. 2 year degree in wildlife and forestry
- Who is your favorite author and book? Margaret weis….dragons of autumn twilight
- What is your preferred genre? Fantasy and horror
- How did you start this journey to become a writer? Reading a lot as a kid and teen. Love creating places and people and situations. My love of film making also. Still creating but writing it down.
- What have you written so far? Days of shadow :The Oracle chronicles volume 1. Volume 2 is still being edited. Write a chapter and closing to a book called one life written by Bette Midler fans and how she has affected their lives and why we love her. Now my book we are talking about today is bloody Halloween…
- Tell us about your current book. Love it. 1st person horror novella. It’s about a small town teen who has to out wit a killer with the help of his long time friend Betty and survive a bloody Halloween night. It’s fun and atmospheric. Has a small town feel but I see it as a classic for Halloween like the film Halloween or Hocus Pocus or even Trick r Treat.
- What is the inspiration for your current book? Like fantasy, horror can bend the rules a little bit. But we can do it on a scary way ..mess with those emotions of fear and anxiety. Always loved urban legends and folk takes but growing up watching horror inspired this and my love for the autumn.
- Who was your favorite character to write and why? Main character Scott and “girl” friend Betty tie!
- Is there anything of you in that character? Yes. It’s basically me from the 90s. Grungy lol. Smoker who cared about siblings that loved Halloween and growing up riding bikes and enjoying this holiday.
- What sets your book apart? Maybe nothing 🙂 It’s written basically like an R.L. Stine book. Like Fear Street. But for adults a little more. Young adults. It wets your appetite with a good story, but not overly full of multiple plots and substories etc. It’s my first “first person ” book. Which I think I prefer now. Love the feel of seeing from the characters eyes. It also has lots of nods or Easter eggs from popular horror too like Halloween Friday the 13th, Psycho, Texas Chainsaw, Candyman, Nightmare on Elm Street, Wrong Turn and more.
- What’s your favorite part in the book? The complete atmosphere of fall …Autumn weather…and Halloween. Capturing a small town glory…with festivals and every one knowing about each other . Love the end chase sequence too. It’s insane and all over the place …literally.
- What was the most difficult part to write? Really nothing Maybe getting the back story of the villain right….wanted it to be new but also tie into familiar things that could happen in anyone’s life. Like tragedy.
- What was your favorite book to write? This one for sure…so far. Scary autumn. Suspense….the feel.
- How do you write? Do you have a set time or place? How many hours a day? Just when I can. Late at night mostly when I have free time.
- Why did you want to be a writer? Still have tons of stories to tell…not the best writer but I have unlimited imagination.
- How do you get your ideas? Films. Other books. Real life events. Sometimes things just pop into my head and I say dang. That’s good. And roll onward with it writing it down
- What do you have planned next? Def more horror. Maybe a sequel or series based on this book or it’s town …Roberts Grove. Plus finishing up the Oracle Chronicles volume 2 and trying to get 3 written.
- What advice would you give new writers? As before, trust yourself, tell your stories, have fun. Self publishing is fine !!! Just get out there and advertise as best you can.
- How can readers get in touch with you? Sure. www.facebook.com/JimmyPressley or email@example.com
Thank you to my books cover designer Shel Marie. You captured my feel. My town…perfectly!!!